When an Educational Supervisor has completed their sign off on an ESR, the Review Period will lock and no further learning can be added, even if the trainee has not completed their sign off.
When can an ESR be unlocked?
The RCGP guidance states that the only circumstances where an ESR should be unlocked is as follows:
- The ESR was completed as an iESR, but it should have been a full ESR
- An incorrect outcome was recorded
- Your Deanery has specifically asked for the ESR to be unlocked due to a reason they deem to be mitigating circumstance
When will an ESR unlock request be denied?
- If the trainee wishes to add more learning logs / assessments to the locked Review Period (these can be added to the trainee's next Review Period or if a trainee has completed their final ESR and needs more learning to CCT, a "mop up" Review Period can be created where a subsequent ESR will not be required)
- When changes need to be made to learning logs or assessments within the locked Review Period (when an ESR is locked, all the learning logs & assessments within it also lock. In order to correct anything other than removing identifiable information the Supervisor can create an Educator's Note on the next Review Period)
- If an ARCP has occurred in the time period that the ESR happened (in this case, the trainee and/or Supervisor will need to contact the GPSA team for further instruction)
- When items need to be updated/added to the Compliance Passport i.e. adding a Form R (the Compliance Passport area of a trainee's Portfolio does not lock when an ESR/Review Period is locked so changes to this can be made at any time)
What is needed to unlock an ESR if it falls under an approved circumstance?
FourteenFish will need the following information in order to unlock the ESR:
- Written confirmation that the trainee is aware that the ESR will be unlocked because they will need to complete their sign off again
- Authorisation (in writing) from the Educational Supervisor that they are happy for the ESR to be unlocked as they will also need to complete their sign off again
- If the Deanery has requested the ESR unlock, we will need written consent that they are happy and the reason for the unlock provided