Appraisal years look like 2020/21 and run from April 1st to March 31st. The appraisal year for an appraisal is determined by the appraisal year that the start date of the appraisal falls in.
Let's break that down...
- The appraisal year runs from April 1st, so it's just the same as the personal tax year in the UK
- The appraisal year is determined by the start date of the appraisal
- The start date of an appraisal is the day after your previous appraisal meeting
- Your appraisal start date is 5th April 2020, so the appraisal year is 2020/21
- Your appraisal start date is 28th March 2020 the year is 2019/20
Who set these rules?
The formula for determining appraisal years is set out by the GMC, so this isn't something that we've invented ourselves.